The original funeral home was founded by David Smith in 1835 and was located in Turners, NY which is now called Harriman. In 1870, David's youngest child, Irving David Smith, joined his father in the funeral business. I.D. Smith had seven children, but only one, Edna Smith, chose a career in funeral service, like her father. In 1909, Edna and her husband, Edmund Seaman, joined the firm. In 1949, they moved the funeral home to the present location on Maple Avenue in Monroe.
Timothy A. Quackenbush began working at the funeral home in 1924. In 1948, he joined Edna and Ed Seaman as a partner in the firm. When the Seamans retired in 1957, Tim purchased the funeral home. He added the location in Highland Mills, NY in 1968. Mr. Quackenbush ran the firm until 1983, when it was purchased by Thomas P. Sullivan. Tom has continued to run the firm in a caring and professional manner, while being extremely active in service to the community. He is a past President and past Chief of the Mombasha Fire Company as well as serving on other boards in the community and supporting numerous activities, teams and local projects.
Smith, Seaman & Quackenbush, Inc. Funeral Homes are currently owned by Colin W. Campbell. Colin joined the firm in 1997 and purchased the funeral home in July of 2015. He currently lives with his family at the firms Highland Mills location and is an active member of Sacred Heart Church in Monroe, The Woodbury Community Association, The Woodbury Field & Stream Club and Port Jervis Elks Lodge #645.
The Staff of Licensed Funeral Directors consists of Colin W. Campbell and Thomas P. Sullivan.
All our staff are dedicated to the families they have served and will continue to serve in the future.
The Monroe location has 3 viewing rooms, 2 porches and adjacent rooms for families and friends to gather. The Highland Mills location has 1 viewing room, 2 porches and adjacent room for families and friends to gather.